Thursday, May 15, 2008

"The Host"


Well Connor has been up since about 4:30, and just went to sleep, it's' 6:15, but it's too late to go back to bed bc Kinsey will be up soon. Last night I had girls night out and saw a movie so I didn't get to bed until midnight-that is late for me. So the one time I stay up he gets up early. Bummer. Go figure :). I'm so excited, my mother in law bought me "The Host" for my birthday, I can't wait to read it! If it's anything like the "Twilight" series it's going to suck me in for sure. When I read I just can't stop until I'm done, especially if it's good. I've heard great things about this book so far so I'm just dying to find time to read it.
Travis and I started a parenting class on Tuesday based on the love and logic technique. I've read the first book and it sounds pretty good and I've heard a lot of really good things about it. It's all about giving your kids choices and letting them learn from their mistakes early on in life when the consequences aren't as substantial as they would be when their older. Also, you're supposed to show a lot of empathy before the consequence comes. This way you are not the bad guy, you are showing you understand that it is hard for them. It's just hard for me to be consistent, but I'm trying. It is a 3 hr course that lasts for six weeks. It was so good and made so much sense I was just trying to soak up as much info as I could and I can't wait to go back for more. When this course is over I think I'll take another one. I feel like it's coming just in the nick of time. Kinsey and I need it so badly right now and yesterday we actually had a great happy day. We only had to go to "bedroom time" twice and she got her fit out in her room and came out when she was happy and it was over. After that we had a great day playing. I'm so glad!! You are supposed to leave them in their room until they are done with their fit plus a few minutes so they can actually think about why they are in there. The first time I had a hard time with that because it breaks my heart to listen to her cry for so long, and trust me she will scream for hours. Hopefully she will learn to calm herself down in a shorter amount of time so she can come out of her room. I mean, isn't that what life is about- learning to control ourselves and learn from our mistakes so we can perfect ourselves? So we are working on that for now. And I wanted to add a list of reasons why I love Kinsey just for my benefit:
1. She hates it when I cry. If she sees me cry she comes and hugs me, plays with my hair, asks me whats wrong, and tells me it will be okay and not to cry.
2. She is a lot of fun, when she is happy- which really is most of the time
3. She is FULL of energy and keeps me on my toes
4. She will eat a tomato like it's an apple and pronounces the word like she's English
5. She loves chocolate just like me
6. She is feisty, which is frustrating but I love because I know she is just like me
7. She is very tender hearted
8. She is very smart and amazes me everyday with the things she does/says.
9. She has daddy wrapped around her little finger and I think it's so cute
10. She is a very good communicator and will tell me if I have hurt her feelings or made her sad.
11. I love that she knows how to use the potty but won't because it's easier to use her diaper because that sounds like something I would do
12. She always wants to help me. If she is doing something I don't want her to do all I have to do is give her a job and she'll jump at the chance to help.
13. She loves to play in the dirt and never cares about her clothes or hair
14. I love the way she snuggles with me at bedtime and wraps her little arms around my neck so tight
15. I love the way she prays- when I help her and pray for someone she will add her own little list of people she wants to pray for
16. I LOVE to watch her dance it is hilarious
17. I love that she is always excited about everything. She jumps up and down excitedly even just waiting for me to get her a drink
18. She always looks at life like it's an adventure; she wants to try everything
19. She is not afraid of anything, which is scary sometimes but at least she is brave
20. She is mine and she loves me- no matter how mad I have gotten at her she will still give me hugs and kisses like it never happened.
Okay, I just want to go find her now and love her up!!




9 comments:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

She really is the sweetest little gal. I might have to join that class next time, too. Can't wait to read the book!! Yipee!

Natalie Francis said...

Keep posting some of the things you learn in that class. It is always good to hear new ideas! Let me know how the book is. I'm interested.

Chelsea said...

Happy Birthday!! you are awesome!!!!

Tiffany said...

That sounds like a great class you guys are taking! You are such a good little mommy! :) That post about Kinsey was so sweet!
Let me know how "The Host" is! I haven't heard too much about it but I love Stephenie Meyer! Maybe I will have to borrow it from you when you are done and read it this summer... :)

Aimee's Family Journal said...

YOU are such a cute mom!

nelson6 said...

Awe so sweet...she is such a cutie!

jon♥kara said...

You are too cute, I'm glad you like your parenting classes. Oh and I just finished the Host in like three days and I loved it. It's different from Twilight but I still liked it. The first fifty pages are alittle slow and a little confusing but it gets much better.

Becky Rogers said...

I love Stephenie Meyer's too. The class you are taking sounds like a great idea. I know I have no idea what I am doing most of the time.

Julie said...

Hey, Amber! I miss you! That's awesome that you're taking Love and Logic. Scott and I have had fun using it on, er, I mean WITH our kiddos :-). I'm sure I could use a refresher...seems like it's a good thing to review frequently! I'm glad you're enjoying the class. Love you!