Thursday, August 14, 2008
The Plunge
We have been working on potty training for quite some time now and are still in the process. I know that I have to take some of the blame for this taking so long because I am scared to take the plunge and go out in public without a diaper. When we are home she wears panties and usually does fine with the exception of an occasional lovely number two in the undies. My little girl just gets distracted so easily that I'm afraid we will be where ever and she will forget that she has to use the potty. I think it confuses her a little to keep going back and forth from diapers to panties. Maybe I need to give her more credit and just put her in panties all of the time and see how it goes. I am just getting really sick of it! I really wouldn't stress about it, but she needs to be trained for preschool starting September 2. I really think this is a punishment for me because I always wondered why parents stressed out about it. I mean I don't know any adults who aren't potty trained so whats the big deal right?? Wrong!! Kinsey NEEDS to go to preschool and she HAS to be trained before she can go. I'm sure I could throw her in a pull up for the first little bit but I don't know... Any advice from you more experienced mommies of potty trained kiddos??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
We did the 3 day, stay at home with no pants on training! It worked perfectly. All Noah ate was fruit and veggies, or things in liquid form. I made sure the sippies were all over and alwya full. I yook his pants off him, and we just spend those days, going potty every 45 mins until he was going in there on his own to go. It really only took 2 days. He has never wet his pants. The number 2's do happen. One day he just decided that it was gross, and hasn't had a problem since! GOOD LUCK!!!
I don't know if my advice will help any but we had to just get rid of all her diapers so that she knew that was it. Caroline has a really fun "diaper fairy" idea that worked for Aaron. You should ask her because it is really exciting. Good luck!
i am not experienced in this at all, but i can tell you what my sister-in-law did for both her boys and they were both potty trained by 2 1/2. don't shoot the messanger & you can take it or leave it :). Her two tricks were special undies (she would guilt them if they peed or pooed on Thomas the Train or whoever, personifying the characters like they had hurt feelings) & cold showers. There came a time where she said they "knew better" (definitely not in the beginning, but only if they were being lazy basically) and if they went to the bathroom on themselves in their undies, she would have to clean them off... in a cold shower. They each only needed a few of these before it sunk in. It worked. But like I said, take it or leave it.
I am SO SO SO sorry. We are going through the same thing right now but McKay was totally potty trained so i know he knows what he is doing and he knows how to do it right but all of a sudden he isn't trained at all any more. Yep we are back to diapers and bribes. so when you find the secret please share.
I did the same thing as the first comment. We didn't go anywhere for three days - I ordered pizza and everything! The first day he didn't wear anything (I put him in underpants at first and he immediatly hadan accident). After he went the whole day without an accident I let him wear underwear the next two days - with no accidents!!!! He got really constipated with number two - but once he went once he never had an accident again. I put him in pull-ups the first two nights but then I forgot the third night. he didn't have an accident so I just never put them on him again. I always make sure he uses the restroom before bed and I never send him to bed with a drink (kids don't need that anyway). Good luck though. I think the main thing is they have to want to do it. They are smart enough - but maybe they don't care yet. Liam made me put underpants over Arie's diaper too - he really liked that she was a part of it. Good luck - whatever you do don't give in!!!!!! When its over you will look back on it as no hat big of a deal. I worried so much at first - but I really think it wet well.
Oh man, potty training is the worst, it just is. We did the diaper fairy and Aaron fell for it hook line & sinker. We had the diaper fairy leave a bag of cool new undies and a potty treat bag full of toys for when he went a whole day w/o an accident. She also left a bag of licorice for everytime he went. The catch was she left a note that she would trade him all this cool stuff if he left all his diapers on the doorstep for the babies that still need them. Anyways, he thought it was so cool to get this huge package of stuff and it was really quick after that.
GOOD LUCK!
Oh man, potty training is the worst, it just is. We did the diaper fairy and Aaron fell for it hook line & sinker. We had the diaper fairy leave a bag of cool new undies and a potty treat bag full of toys for when he went a whole day w/o an accident. She also left a bag of licorice for everytime he went. The catch was she left a note that she would trade him all this cool stuff if he left all his diapers on the doorstep for the babies that still need them. Anyways, he thought it was so cool to get this huge package of stuff and it was really quick after that.
GOOD LUCK!
You could be like me & wait til she's nearly a teenager before even attempting potty trainng :) Then its pretty easy.
The strategy laid out in "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day" is great and heavily endorsed (even Dr. Phil backs it). With your psychology degree, you'll love it. It is by Drs. Foxx and Azrin, two Harvard psych professors who specialize in working with the moderately/severely handicapped. They were able to take handicapped adults who hadn't potty-trained their entire lives and utilize the best psych techniques with a pretty amazing success rate. They then adapted those strategies for people of normal intelligence and, hence, their book. It's cheap and a quick read. Let me know if you try it out! Then again, I may be slow leaving this comment...you may already have the training done!
Hugs!
Julie
Post a Comment